Trail news, conditions, and maps for Fremont County, Cañon City, and the Royal Gorge Region
Please feel free to contact Fremont Adventure Recreation at email@example.com or the Lower Arkansas Mountain Bicycling Association (LAMBA) at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you see anything suspect or dangerous (ex. loose dogs or trash dumping) while out enjoying public lands in the Royal Gorge region we encourage you to provide basic information to local law enforcement. The non-emergency numbers for local law enforcement are:
- Fremont County Sheriff 719-276-5555
- Cañon City Police 719-276-5600
- BLM 719-269-8500
- for any emergency please call 911
Information may also be provided to FAR and we will forward to the appropriate agencies - email@example.com.
Royal Gorge Park Trails - Parking:
The lower County Road 3A parking lot is small. If using this lot please park head-in on the north side of the lot. This lot has no toilet - if you need a toilet, please continue up the road to the main County Road 3A parking and trailhead where there is a vault toilet. There is also day parking in the East Ridge Campground near the vault toilet there.
Oil Well Flats trails - Toilet:
Please remember that there is a BLM vault toilet on Red Canyon Road approximately 0.5 miles south (towards Cañon City) of the Oil Well Flats turnoff. There are no facilities - toilet, trash, or water - at the Oil Well Flats trailheads or dispersed camping, please plan and act accordingly.
Oil Well Flats trails - Camping:
Camping at Oil Well Flats is quickly becoming a problem. Please follow standard low impact camping practices including:
- camp only in existing sites - sites are now numbered 1 through 22
- use an existing fire ring or better yet, bring and use a fire pan for any camp fires
- bring your own firewood - do not cut trees or expect to be able to gather downed limbs
- make sure any campfires are dead out prior to leaving the site
- respect local fire bans that may be in place
- have and use a portable toilet system for all human (and dog) waste (ex. wag bags)
- do not let dogs run off-leash if cows or wildlife are in the area
- pack out all trash
- mind the food crumbs, or the site will be infested by ants next time you try to camp
- if you see a trashy camp, loose dogs, or a squatter that has been in a site
for more than 14 days, please contact us ASAP with details (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Trail Conditions as of 2018-10-19
if you have trail conditions reports please send them to email@example.com.
If you are reading this page you likely don't need to be told, but as a friendly reminder to everyone else - DO NOT USE MUDDY TRAILS! If the trail is sticking to your feet, tires, or animal feet/hoofs, or if you are leaving deep ruts, foot or hoof prints, you need find something else to do while the trails dry out. Don't be the person that causes months of trail damage because you couldn't wait a day or two.
Oil Well Flats:
South Cañon / Section 13:
Royal Gorge Park:
Pump Track / River Trails:
Local trail maps for mountain biking and hiking in Cañon City, directions to trailheads, and general descriptions of the the best trails in the Cañon City and Royal Gorge region can be found in the FAR Adventure Guide.
Stand alone maps for Oil Well Flats, Section 13, Hogbacks, Royal Gorge Park, and South Cañon can be downloaded from the links below.