Trail news, conditions, and maps for Fremont County, Cañon City, and the Royal Gorge Region
Please feel free to contact Fremont Adventure Recreation at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Lower Arkansas Mountain Bicycling Association (LAMBA) at email@example.com
Royal Gorge Park - Parking:
The lower County Road 3A parking lot is small. If using this lot please park head-in starting on the north side of the lot. If we all work at it, we should easily be able to get 6 cars on the north side, and 4 or so on the south (angled). This lot has no toilet - if you need a toilet, please continue up the road to the main County Road 3A parking and trailhead where there is a vault toilet. There is also day parking in the East Ridge Campground near the vault toilet there.
Oil Well Flats - Toilet:
Please remember that there is a BLM vault toilet on Red Canyon Road approximately 0.5 miles south (towards Cañon City) of the Oil Well Flats turnoff. There are no facilities - toilet, trash, or water - at the Oil Well Flats trailheads or dispersed camping, please plan and act accordingly.
Oil Well Flats - Camping:
Camping at Oil Well Flats is quickly becoming a problem. Please follow standard low impact camping practices including:
- camp only in existing sites - sites are now numbered 1 through 22
- use an existing fire ring or better yet, bring and use a fire pan for any camp fires
- bring your own firewood - do not cut trees or expect to be able to gather downed limbs
- make sure any campfires are dead out prior to leaving the site
- respect local fire bans that may be in place
- have and use a portable toilet system for all human (and dog) waste (ex. wag bags)
- do not let dogs run off-leash if cows or wildlife are in the area
- pack out all trash
- mind the food crumbs, or the site will be infested by ants next time you try to camp
- if you see a trashy camp, loose dogs, or a squatter that has been in a site
for more than 14 days, please contact us ASAP with details (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Trail Conditions as of 2017-10-12
If you have trail conditions reports please send them to email@example.com.
Oil Well Flats:
South Cañon / Section 13:
Royal Gorge Park:
Pump Track / River Trails:
Local trail maps, directions to trailheads, and general descriptions of the the best trails in the Cañon City and Royal Gorge region can be found in the FAR Adventure Guide.
Stand alone maps for Oil Well Flats, Section 13, Hogbacks, Royal Gorge Park, and South Cañon can be downloaded from the links below.